This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Event Questions
What is a hybrid event and how can I attend?
The Black Hat hybrid event experience offers the cybersecurity community a choice in how they wish to participate. We will host both an in-person experience in Las Vegas and a virtual experience online.
When you purchase a Briefings Pass, you can select whether to attend in-person or online.
If you choose the Virtual Only Briefings Pass, you will have access to all the online and recorded Briefings Sessions, Sponsored Sessions, Arsenal Demos and the Business Hall. You will also have access to the recorded sessions for 30 days after the event.
If you choose the In-Person Briefings Pass you will have access to BOTH the in-person Briefings, Sponsored Sessions, Arsenal Demos and the Business Hall activities in Las Vegas, AND access to all the online sessions, including online access to the recordings for 30 days after the event.
Pass prices and further details can be found here
Will the content be the same at the in-person event and the virtual event?
While there will be unique elements to each, the core Briefings content will be the same for both event types. With either pass type, all paid Briefings pass holders will receive access to all recorded content for 30 days after the event, normally only made available for an additional fee.
Will Black Hat USA Trainings be hybrid?
No. This year, all Trainings will only be offered virtually. Courses will be conducted in real-time online and all instructors will be accessible throughout each class.
Black Hat ran successful and highly-rated virtual Trainings for our USA, Asia, and Europe events in 2020 and we’re bringing that same proven model to BHUSA 2021 – along with platform enhancements and additional courses.
What are the times and dates for these events?
- All event times are listed in Pacific Time (GMT/UTC – 7h) on the website
- Black Hat Trainings: July 31 – August 3
- We offer both 2, and 4-day courses so please confirm dates and times for the specific course(s) you want here
- In-Person Black Hat Briefings/Arsenal/Business Hall: August 4 & August 5
- Virtual Black Hat Briefings/Arsenal/Business Hall: August 4 & August 5
In-Person Event Questions
How many attendees does Black Hat expect in-person in Las Vegas?
Pre-registration for both the in-person and virtual events continues to be strong. We are planning for an estimated 5,000 in-person attendees.
What health measures/protocols are Black Hat taking to ensure a safe environment on-site?
Black Hat is working closely with local health authorities and Mandalay Bay to provide a safe and healthy experience for all Black Hat participants.
Enhanced measures are being implemented in accordance with state and local regulations and following the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please note that the CDC advises: "Vaccines are widely accessible in the United States. Everyone aged 12 years and older should get a COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible."
Expectations for all event participants:
- Individuals who are immunocompromised or at high risk are encouraged to attend virtually.
- All event participants are expected to observe and engage in recognized preventive actions to help ensure a safe environment, including frequent hand washing.
- Individuals should not attend the event if they have tested positive for COVID19 within the last 14 days or if they are concerned that they have been exposed to the virus within the last 14 days and could possibly test positive.
- Should an event participant test positive for COVID-19, register a temperature, or become ill during the event, he/she/they should observe recognized quarantining procedures.
At Black Hat:
- Face masks will be available for all event participants (registered attendees, exhibitors, event contractors, and staff).
- All participants will self-screen daily for symptoms of Covid or other illness and will not attend if experiencing any symptoms.
- Where possible, contactless systems and processes will be implemented to minimize "touch points."
- Program materials will be distributed electronically where possible.
- We are carefully reviewing CDC meeting guidelines and managing crowd densities and capacities accordingly.
- 20-minute breaks will occur between sessions to allow for cleaning.
- The Business Hall will be cleaned nightly.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available throughout the event.
- Health and Safety Ambassadors will be on-site to promote good hygiene and answer questions.
In-Room COVID Testing:
Enhancing MGM Resorts mission to provide seamless and convenient travel solutions, all guests of Mandalay Bay and Delano can now take advantage of a selection of in-room COVID-19 testing options. Testing appointments are available daily from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. by calling guest services at the guest’s host hotel. Prices for in-room testing range from $140 to $230. Additional charges may apply for same day/after-hours requests and cancellations.
In collaboration with locally based Community Ambulance, guests can choose from three types of tests depending on their travel schedules and requirements of their next destination. Community Ambulance analyzes all test types and delivers results electronically to the guest.
In-room testing options and results timeframes are:
- Standard RT-PCR Test - results in approximately 24 - 72 hours, based on lab availability.
- Fast Molecular (NAAT) Test – results in approximately 20 minutes
- Rapid Antigen Test – results in approximately 20 - 30 minutes
Learn more about Mandalay Bay’s Health and Safety Commitment.
Will I be required to wear a mask? Will medical exceptions be allowed?
- Black Hat strongly recommends that all attendees wear masks throughout the event in accordance with recommendations from the Southern Nevada Health District
- Masks will be available to all attendees at no charge
- In accordance with CDC guidelines, fully vaccinated attendees will be allowed to remain maskless, at their own discretion
- Mask policy is subject to change, based on prevailing CDC, regional, and/or venue requirements at the time of the event
If you are unable to wear face coverings due to medical reasons, please contact Show Management prior to arrival.
How will Black Hat maintain social distancing?
The Black Hat event has been planned to allow for physical distancing wherever possible. This includes a more open Business Hall layout, space between seats in meeting rooms and an open registration layout.
Unvaccinated people should continue to wear a mask, stay 6 ft apart, and wash their hands.
In accordance with CDC guidance, fully vaccinated people can resume activities without physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
What should I keep in mind when travelling to Black Hat?
Black Hat recommends all participants review the CDC guidance on travel.
Be aware, the CDC requires masks at public transportation hubs and on all public transportation. This includes but is not limited to airports, flights, taxi/ride share, local buses, and the Las Vegas Monorail.
What are the local guidelines and rules in Las Vegas?
Effective June 1, Las Vegas has returned to pre-pandemic guidelines, including removing all restrictions involving capacity limits, large gatherings and more. Many of the Las Vegas resorts have published health and wellness plans based on the advice of health and government officials.
Can I book my hotel in Las Vegas now – and how should I do that?
Yes, hotel reservations are being accepted and a link to Black Hat’s official hotel booking partner can be found on our website here.
What happens if Black Hat has to cancel the In-Person Event - can I get a refund?
While we are confident that we will be able to host a great in-person event, we know some of this is out of our control. Therefore, we are offering purchase protection to everyone who buys an in-person Briefings pass.
PURCHASE PROTECTION POLICY: If, for any reason, Black Hat is forced to cancel the In-Person Event in Las Vegas, all paid passes will automatically convert to Virtual Briefings passes and the balance will be converted to a credit towards a Black Hat USA 2022 Briefings Pass. Full or partial refunds may also be requested instead—subject only to a 6% processing fee.
Virtual Event Questions
I know I can’t get to Las Vegas this year. Is the Virtual Event going to be worth my time & money?
Yes! We know this is a challenging year for travel and we are planning to make the virtual experience as valuable as possible. All our Briefings will be delivered in full on our virtual platform and our speakers will be available for live online Q&A following their presentations. Arsenal demos will be presented online, sponsors will be offering demos and swag, and we’re building more interactive tools for networking during the virtual event. You have 30 days after the event to watch (or re-watch) all the Briefings and recorded sessions you want.
We successfully ran BHUSA as a virtual only event in 2020 with great results and positive feedback from attendees. We have even more great updates and enhanced functionality for Black Hat USA Virtual 2021 planned.
What platform does Black Hat use to deliver the virtual event, and where can I learn more?
Black Hat USA will be delivered primarily on the Swapcard platform, with some additional links to other platforms for break-out rooms and chat/networking. For more details about our virtual platform, check out some tutorials here.
Additional information can be found on the Attendee Resources page.