This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Event Questions
What is a hybrid event and how can I attend?
The Black Hat hybrid event experience offers the cybersecurity community a choice in how they wish to participate. We will host both an in-person experience in London and a virtual experience online.
When you purchase a Briefings Pass, you can select whether to attend in-person or online.
If you choose the Virtual Only Briefings Pass, you will have access to all the online and recorded Briefings Sessions, Sponsored Sessions, Arsenal Demos and the Business Hall. You will also have access to the recorded sessions for 30 days after the event.
If you choose the In-Person Briefings Pass you will have access to BOTH the in-person Briefings, Sponsored Sessions, Arsenal Demos and the Business Hall activities in London, AND access to all the online sessions, including online access to the recordings for 30 days after the event.
Will the content be the same at the in-person event and the virtual event?
While there will be unique elements to each, the core Briefings content will be the same for both event types. With either pass type, all paid Briefings pass holders will receive access to all recorded content for 30 days after the event, normally only made available for an additional fee.
Will Black Hat Europe Trainings be offered?
Yes. This year, Trainings will be offered in-person and virtually. Specific courses will be conducted in real-time online and a separate set of course offerings will be in-person. All instructors will be accessible throughout each class whether offered in-person or virtually.
Black Hat ran successful and highly rated virtual Trainings for our USA and Asia events earlier this year and we're bringing that same proven model to BH EU 2021 in addition to our proven ability to host in-person training courses.
What are the times and dates for these events?
- All event times are listed in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT/UTC +0h) on the website
- Black Hat Trainings: November 8 - 11
- We offer both 2, and 4-day courses so please confirm dates and times for the specific course(s) you want here
- In-Person Black Hat Briefings/Arsenal/Business Hall: November 10 - 11
- Virtual Black Hat Briefings/Arsenal/Business Hall: November 10 - 11
In-Person Event Questions
What health measures/protocols is Black Hat taking to ensure a safe environment on-site?
Black Hat is working closely with the ExCeL Centre London to provide a safe and healthy experience for all Black Hat participants.
Enhanced measures are being implemented in accordance with the ExCeL and from guidance of the National Health Service (NHS). Please note that the NHS advises: "The coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccines are safe and effective. They give you the best protection against COVID-19."
Expectations for all event participants:
- Individuals who are immunocompromised or at high risk are encouraged to attend virtually.
- All event participants are expected to observe and engage in recognized preventive actions to help ensure a safe environment, including frequent hand washing.
- Individuals should not attend the event if they have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 10 days or if they are concerned that they have been exposed to the virus within the last 10 days and could possibly test positive.
- Should an event participant test positive for COVID-19, register a temperature, or become ill during the event, he/she/they should observe recognized quarantining procedures.
At Black Hat:
- Currently, the ExCeL Centre London requires proof of double vaccination, COVID-19 antibodies or negative lateral flow test to gain entry. The ExCeL will be checking for proof at the entry points to the building. Please note, UK-based visitors can use their NHS COVID Pass, and international visitors, the equivalent from their country of origin.
- ExCeL Centre recommends face masks inside the building (unless exempt; click here for the NHS guidance on exemptions).
- ExCeL Centre encourages social distancing.
- All participants will self-screen daily for symptoms of COVID or other illness and will not attend if experiencing any symptoms.
- Where possible, contactless systems and processes will be implemented to minimize "touch points."
- Program materials will be distributed electronically where possible.
- We are carefully reviewing and managing crowd densities and capacities accordingly.
- 20-minute breaks will occur between sessions to allow for cleaning.
- The Business Hall will be cleaned nightly.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available throughout the venue.
- More information at Your SAFETY at ExCeL.
Will I be required to show proof of vaccination to enter the conference venue?
Currently, the ExCeL Centre London requires proof of double vaccination, COVID-19 antibodies or negative lateral flow test to gain entry. Please note, UK-based visitors can use their NHS COVID Pass, and international visitors, the equivalent from their country of origin.
More information at Your SAFETY at ExCeL.
Policy is subject to change, based on prevailing venue or government requirements at the time of the event.
Will I be required to wear a mask? Will medical exceptions be allowed?
The ExCeL Centre London recommends a face covering be worn inside the venue unless you have an exemption. ExCeL recommends you visit the website for the NHS guidance on exemptions.
Masks will be available to all attendees at no charge, but attendees are encouraged to bring their own masks.
Mask policy is subject to change, based on prevailing venue or government requirements at the time of the event.
More information at Your SAFETY at ExCeL.
How will Black Hat maintain social distancing?
The Black Hat event has been planned to allow for social distancing wherever possible. This includes a more open Business Hall layout, space between seats in meeting rooms and an open registration layout.
The social distancing policy is subject to change, based on prevailing venue or government requirements at the time of the event.
More information at Your SAFETY at ExCeL.
What should I keep in mind when travelling to Black Hat?
Black Hat recommends all participants review the GOV.UK Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer travel guidance for passengers.
What are the local guidelines and rules?
The ExCeL is located in Newham, East London. As of 19 July 2021, the government has lifted all measures put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19. Newham Council is advising residents to continue wearing face masks to keep themselves and others safe and to act cautiously when reacting to the latest easing of restrictions. This is in line with guidance from the Mayor of London and many other councils. Visit COVID-19: Roadmap Step 4 on the Newham website for more details.
Currently, the ExCeL Centre London requires proof of double vaccination, COVID-19 antibodies or negative lateral flow test to gain entry. The ExCeL will be checking for proof at the entry points to the building. Please note, UK-based visitors can use their NHS COVID Pass, and international visitors, the equivalent from their country of origin.
ExCeL Centre recommends face masks inside the building (unless exempt; click here for the NHS guidance on exemptions).
Can I book my hotel in London now – and how should I do that?
Yes, hotel reservations are being accepted and a link to Black Hat's official hotel booking partner can be found on our website here.
What happens if Black Hat has to cancel the In-Person Event - can I get a refund?
While we are confident that we will be able to host a great in-person event, we know some of this is out of our control. Therefore, we are offering purchase protection to everyone who buys an in-person Briefings pass.
PURCHASE PROTECTION POLICY: If, for any reason, Black Hat is forced to cancel the In-Person Event in London, all paid passes will automatically convert to Virtual Briefings passes and the balance will be converted to a credit towards a Black Hat Europe 2022 Briefings Pass. Full or partial refunds may also be requested instead—subject only to a 6% processing fee.
Virtual Event Questions
I know I can't get to London this year. Is the Virtual Event going to be worth my time & money?
Yes! We know this is a challenging year for travel and we are planning to make the virtual experience as valuable as possible. All our Briefings will be delivered in full on our virtual platform and our speakers will be available for live online Q&A following their presentations. Arsenal demos will be presented online, sponsors will be offering demos and swag, and we're building more interactive tools for networking during the virtual event. You have 30 days after the event to watch (or re-watch) all the Briefings and recorded sessions you want.
We successfully ran BHEU as a virtual only event in 2020 with great results and positive feedback from attendees. We have even more great updates and enhanced functionality for Black Hat Europe Virtual 2021 planned.
What platform does Black Hat use to deliver the virtual event, and where can I learn more?
Black Hat Europe will be delivered primarily on the Swapcard platform, with some additional links to other platforms for break-out rooms and chat/networking. For more details about our virtual platform, check out some tutorials here.
Additional information can be found on the Attendee Resources page.