Black Hat DC 2010 //CFP Terms
Grand Hyatt Crystal City • Jan 31 - Feb 3
Papers and presentations are now being accepted for the
Black Hat DC 2010 Briefings.
The DC 2010 Briefings will be held from February 2-3
I understand that I MAY NOT submit presentations if I am a third party such as a PR firm or Speaker Representative that wishes to submit materials on behalf of a potential speaker. I understand that only original authors of presentations may submit for the Call for Papers.
l understand that I will be notified of the status (acceptance or denial) within 10 business days after the close of the Call for Papers.
I understand that honorarium and travel reimbursements will be made at the same time, net 45 after the last day of the conference, or net 45 from the date the conference director receives all applicable paperwork (whichever is later). If I fail to provide my travel receipts within 15 days after the end of the conference, I forfeit any claims for reimbursement.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the submitted work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by Black Hat and that I will promptly supply Black Hat with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner.
If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give Black Hat permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation; including, but not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, hand outs(s) to the conference attendees for educational, on-line and all other purposes.
I have read the above and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use.
Agreement to Terms of Speaking Requirements
If I am selected to speak, I understand that I must complete and fulfill the following requirements or I will forfeit my honorarium:
- I will submit a completed presentation in PowerPoint format for publication in the Black Hat website by January 31. If I fail to submit a completed presentation by January 31, I will forfeit $250 of my honorarium.
- I will submit a completed white paper for publication on the conference proceedings no later than January 8. I understand if I fail to submit a completed presentation or white, I may be replaced by an alternate presentation or, if allowed to present, will forfeit $250 of my honorarium.
- I will submit a completed (and possibly updated) presentation, a copy of the tool(s) and/or code(s), and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission for publication on the the Black Hat website no later than February 8, 17:00 PST or I will forfeit my honorarium in its entirety.
- I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
- I will be on hand and accessible to delegates during Black Hat social events including, but not limited to, luncheons, breaks and receptions. I will be scheduled to speak at a specific time and date but understand that I must be available to speak on either date should there be a schedule change.
- I will complete my presentation in the time allocated to me - not ending 15 minutes before or running 5 minutes over the time allocation.
- I understand that Black Hat will provide 1 LCD projector, 1 screen, and wired microphone. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines, to complete my presentation.
- I will submit, by February 8, any updated, revised or additional presentation(s) or materials that were used in my presentation but not included on the conference CD or conference proceedings.
- I understand that only persons listed as "speakers" and who actively participate in giving the presentation will be given entry to the conference. Co-workers, PR persons, etc who wish to attend the session must register and pay the appropriate conference fees.
- I will reimburse Black Hat for airfare should Black Hat purchase non-refundable airfare on my behalf and I am unable to attend for any reason.
I have read the above and understand and agree to the terms as detailed in the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Requirements.
Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration
Category 1 Speaker:If you have never presented at Black Hat before, and you are selected to present, Black Hat will pay for one presenter's coach class roundtrip airfare and one hotel room for three nights at the official Black Hat venue hotel and a speaking honorarium of $500 USD.
Category 2 Speaker:If you have spoken before at Black Hat you will receive one presenter's roundtrip coach class airfare, one hotel room for three nights at the official Black Hat venue hotel, and a speaking honorarium of $1,000 USD.
- If you have been specifically invited to speak you fall into the second category.
Category 3 Speaker:If you are selected for the "Turbo Talks" track you will only receive entrance to the Briefings. As a "Turbo Talks" presenter, you WILL NOT receive a speaking honorarium or compensation for hotel or travel. Please note that Turbo Talk track will not be offered at DC 2010.
Category 4 Speaker:If you work for a company that is also an official Black Hat sponsor, we are unable to offer any compensation for travel, accommodations or honorarium. If you wish to speak as an individual and not represent your company in any way you can become a Category 2 speaker. Just make sure it is OK with your company before doing this!
- Speakers who are asked to participate in a panel but who also present on a topic will not be paid an additional honorarium.
- Speakers who are asked to present on separate topics at the same conference will earn an honorarium for each presentation. Only the original airfare and hotel room will be covered (no additional rooms, room nights or travel expenses will be provided or reimbursed).
- Full conference passes are given to those who actively participate as speakers on accepted presentations. These passes are non-transferable. Co-workers, PR persons, etc who wish to attend the session or conference must register and pay the appropriate conference fees.
Once you have been accepted, you will be contacted by us to make hotel and travel arrangements. Please make sure that you include a valid email address and telephone number (and fax if possible) where you can be reached. Once you have been accepted, you will be contacted by us to make hotel and travel arrangements.
- I understand that Black Hat will only pay for one roundtrip coach class airfare per presentation.
- If I am traveling from the US, I understand there is a cap of $750 USD on the airfare if I choose to make the arrangements myself.
- If I am traveling from abroad, I understand that I will make my own travel arrangements and that I will be reimbursed up to $750 USD. If my airfare exceeds $750 USD, I must first receive approval from the Conference Director or I will not be reimbursed for the full airfare.
- I understand that if I choose to arrange the airfare myself, I will only be reimbursed for travel related to the dates of the conference. I understand that if I wish to be reimbursed for airfare, I must supply a valid receipt in the form of a travel agency issued air itinerary and/or ticket receipt with the airfare printed on it. I understand that there is a $750 cap for airfare and I will be reimbursed for up to that amount. If my airfare exceeds $750 USD, I must first receive approval from the Conference Director or I will not be reimbursed for the full airfare.
- I understand that if I choose to travel by automobile to the conference, I will receive $0.32 per mile, roundtrip, as reimbursement. If I travel by rail or bus I will be reimbursed for the cost of the ticket price. A receipt for travel by bus or rail must be provided.
- I understand that I will only be reimbursed for one form of travel to the conference - that I will be reimbursed for either rail, bus or air travel. I understand that I will not be reimbursed for travel time.
- I understand I will NOT receive reimbursement for transportation to and from the travel terminal(s) to the hotel/conference venue or travel from my home/office to the travel terminal(s), or any additional expenditures I may incur. I understand that I will not be reimbursed for parking, taxi or shuttle services.
- I understand that Black Hat will pay for one hotel room for three nights at the official venue hotel which will be limited to one day before and one day after the event unless otherwise agreed to via email.
- I understand that I will be required to provide the hotel with a valid credit card on check in to secure the room and any and all additional costs incurred by me (including but not limited to room service, phone line usage, room internet access, movies, etc) WILL NOT be reimbursed by Black Hat.
- I understand that I must submit receipts for reimbursement no later than 15 days from the end of the conference or I forfeit any claim to the amount owed.
- I understand that the person listed as the primary speaker will be required to complete a W9 form (only if a US citizen) in order to be paid. Non-US citizens must complete a W8 form and may be paid via wire transfer (or you may choose to be paid with a company check). Only one payment for both the honorarium and airfare will be made per presentation. I understand that Black Hat will not split the payment of the honorarium or expenses amongst multiple speakers. I understand that the purchaser of the airfare ticket must be the same as the person to be reimbursed.
- I understand that Black Hat will issue one payment for airfare and honorarium per presentation and the payment will be issued to the person listed as the primary speaker. The purchaser of the airfare must be the same as the primary speaker/person to be reimbursed. Payment will be made net 45 from the receipt of the Black Hat required paperwork (W9/W8, receipts and payment/wire information). This is not negotiable.
- I understand that the name and address on the W9 or wire transfer is where the payment will be sent. I understand that if I fail to inform Black Hat of any changes to my address or wire information that it may result in a delay of up to 45 days in my receiving payment from the date that I inform Black Hat of my change of address.
- I understand that in order to be paid, I must submit a completed speaker agreement, necessary receipts as well as a W9 or W8 before I can be paid. Separate payments for honorariums and airfare reimbursements will not be made.
- I understand that I must submit my speaker agreement, receipts, tax and wire information no later than 15 days after the end of the conference or I forfeit any honorarium and any travel and hotel reimbursement that I may be seeking.
- I understand that if I am employed by an official Black Hat sponsor, I must still complete a speaker agreement, and that I will not receive any compensation for travel, hotel accommodations or an honorarium from Black Hat. If I am no longer employed by the company at the time of the presentation or within 45 days from the start of the conference, I WILL NOT receive an honorarium or receive reimbursement for hotel or travel from Black Hat.
- I understand that should my presentation be determined to be a vendor or sales pitch that I will not receive any reimbursement for travel, hotel accommodations or an honorarium.
- I understand that in order to receive the honorarium, I must submit the white paper by the materials deadline of January 8 and the presentation slide deck by January 31.
"I have read the above and understand and agree to the terms as detailed in the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration or I will forfeit my honorarium."
Dates to be aware of:
- December 1: Call for Papers closes for Black Hat DC 2010
- January 8: Accepted Speaker materials due
- December 31: Hotel Group Rate at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City closes
- January 31 - February 1: Black Hat DC 2010 Training at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City
- February 2-3: Black Hat DC 2010 Briefings at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City